Mobile-header-Topics

The History of St Mary’s Cemetery

In 1832 The General Cemetery Company purchased a large plot of land and opened All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. Although many Catholics were buried there it was decided that a cemetery exclusively for Catholics was needed. The 29 acre area of land was purchased from the General Cemetery Company and St Mary's Catholic Cemetery was opened for burials on 10th May 1858.

St Mary’s Cemetery is now the final resting place for more than 172,000 individuals of the Roman Catholic faith.

St Mary’s Conservation Area

On 10th April 1989 St Mary’s Cemetery was listed as a conservation area along with All Souls’ Kensal Green and Alma Place. There are three Grade II listed mausoleums as well as two mausoleums and two graves named as Building of Merit. The Belgian War Memorial is Grade II listed.

St Mary’s Cemetery is a registered charity and, along with St Patrick’s Leytonstone, are subsidiaries of the Secular Clergy Common Fund.

The Secular Clergy Common Fund

The Secular Clergy Common Fund gives support through financial assistance to eligible priests who are members of the fund who are permanently or temporarily incapacitated by old age, infirmity, or illness from the performance of their clerical duties. The fund aims to relieve the hardship that might otherwise be experienced. The Secular Clergy Common Fund was founded in 1701.

St Mary’s Cemetery Chapel.

St Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery has its own Catholic Chapel which was built in 1860 to the designs of S.J.Nicholl (1826-1905), a recognised church architect and designer.

The Chapel has one of two working coffin lifts in England, the other is in the Anglican Chapel of All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. The coffin lift is used to lower coffins from the Chapel into the lower catacombs which are located directly underneath the Chapel.

The Chapel is regularly used for Funerals or Memorial Services. To enquire about using the Chapel please contact the office. The Cemetery does not have a resident priest but can recommend several local Catholic Priests.

The Chapel contains many Plaques of Remembrance (inscribed tablets in memory of those buried in the cemetery). To arrange a memorial plaque or inscription please visit the Cemetery Office to choose a location within the Chapel.

Topics-Chapel-photo-1
Topics-Chapel-photo-2
Topics-Chapel-photo-3

St Mary’s Cemetery Chapel.

Topics-Chapel-photo-1

St Mary’s Roman Catholic Cemetery has its own Catholic Chapel which was built in 1860 to the designs of S.J.Nicholl (1826-1905), a recognised church architect and designer.

The Chapel has one of two working coffin lifts in England, the other is in the Anglican Chapel of All Soul’s Cemetery, Kensal Green. The coffin lift is used to lower coffins from the Chapel into the lower catacombs which are located directly underneath the Chapel.

The Chapel is regularly used for Funerals or Memorial Services. To enquire about using the Chapel please contact the office. The Cemetery does not have a resident priest but can recommend several local Catholic Priests.

The Chapel contains many Plaques of Remembrance (inscribed tablets in memory of those buried in the cemetery). To arrange a memorial plaque or inscription please visit the Cemetery Office to choose a location within the Chapel.

Topics-Chapel-photo-2
Topics-Chapel-photo-3

War memorials and military graves

 

As well as the many personal memorials there are two war memorials: The Belgium War Memorial, in memory of the Belgian soldiers in the First World War who were wounded in combat and evacuated to England but died in hospital, and the Canadian War Memorial. This is in memory of British, Irish, French, Czechoslovakian and Canadian servicemen and is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

War memorials and military graves

As well as the many personal memorials there are two war memorials: The Belgium War Memorial, in memory of the Belgian soldiers in the First World War who were wounded in combat and evacuated to England but died in hospital, and the Canadian War Memorial. This is in memory of British, Irish, French, Czechoslovakian and Canadian servicemen and is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

St Mary’s Cemetery, Harrow Road, London, NW10 5NU

T: +44 (0) 208 969 1145

F: +44 (0) 208 969 1153

E: saintmaryscemetery@gmail.com

© 2019: St Marys Cemetery

Website design and photography: X313 Design Ltd

St-Marys-Cemetery-logo-200px